Think about Building an ADU?
7 Helpful Steps to Get you Going
Several buyers asked my team and me, "What would it take to build an ADU (Accessory Dwelling Unit)?" so we came up with an initial list to help you with your California property to gain insights into the construction process and expenses to California ADU.
Knowledge is Power: Take a look at Recent Changes to ADU Laws at CA.gov ADU Handbook and CA.gov HCD, California Department of Housing Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs) site. These links are an excellent place to start your ADU research!
Budget and Finance: Determine your budget for the project and explore financing options if needed. ADU and construction costs can vary based on factors such as size, design, materials, and customization.
Building Permits and Zoning Regulations: ADU and construction often require obtaining the necessary permits and complying with local zoning regulations and California Government Codes. Researching and understanding your area's specific requirements is crucial to ensure a smooth construction process.
Design and Customization: Consider your specific needs and preferences when it comes to the design and layout of your ADU. Many companies offer customization options, so discuss your ideas with the chosen company to ensure your vision aligns with their capabilities.
Sustainability and Energy Efficiency: If sustainability is a priority for you, discuss green building practices, energy-efficient features, and material choices with the companies you're considering. Many companies offer eco-friendly options to minimize environmental impact.
Timeline and Construction Process: Discuss the estimated timeline for the project with the company you choose. Understand the construction process, including any on-site work required and the duration of different phases, to have a realistic expectation of the project timeline.
Warranty and After-Sales Support: Inquire about warranties provided by the company for their construction work, materials, and components. Additionally, understand the level of after-sales support they offer, such as maintenance, repairs, or any potential future expansion needs.
It is always a good idea to reach out to companies directly to confirm their current services, coverage areas, and any specific requirements or preferences you may have for your ADU project and see if they can help. It is also important to obtain accurate and up-to-date information regarding pricing and delivery commitment, ask for references, and visit ADUs they have built or showrooms. Below is a list of ADU companies that should be able to help you in our area.
List of ADU Companies
Here are some companies that offer modular/fabricated/construct ADUs, including their specialization and their availability in our area:
- Abodu: Specializes in designing and building prefabricated ADUs. Abodu offers a range of modern and sustainable ADU designs that are stylish, factory-built off-site and then delivered to the desired location for installation. Their ADUs are designed to be energy-efficient, utilizing sustainable materials and practices.
- Mighty Buildings: Mighty Buildings specializes in designing and constructing ADUs and other housing structures using 3D printing and advanced robotics technology. They claim that their construction methods are faster, more sustainable, and cost-effective compared to traditional building techniques. They offer customizable designs and a range of floor plans to suit different needs and preferences.
- Anchor Tiny House: Anchor is a company that specializes in designing and building ADU and tiny homes. They are known for their craftsmanship and attention to detail in creating compact and functional living spaces. Anchor offers a range of customizable tiny home designs, allowing customers to personalize their space according to their specific needs and preferences. They provide options for various layouts, sizes, and architectural styles.
- California Modulars: California Modulars specializes in designing and constructing modular ADUs. They have experience in navigating the permitting process and offer customizable options for ADU designs. They serve various locations in the Bay Area.
- Acton ADU: Acton ADU is a company based in San Jose, California, and they focus on designing and building ADUs. They provide services for design, permitting, and construction management. Acton ADU serves clients in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Cottage: Cottage specializes in building custom ADUs. Cottage has an in-house design team that specializes in only ADUs, creating efficient and elegant small space designs that result in a smoother permitting process.
- Prefab ADU: Prefab ADU is a company that focuses on prefabricated ADU solutions. While there isn't a specific company named "Prefab ADU" that I'm aware of, there are several prefab ADU providers in California. These providers offer factory-built ADUs that can be delivered and assembled on-site. They typically serve clients throughout California, including the San Francisco Bay Area.
- New Avenue Homes: New Avenue Homes is a design-build company that operates in multiple states, including California. They specialize in building ADUs and offer services for design, permitting, and construction. New Avenue Homes serves clients in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- USModular Inc.: USModular Inc. specializes in modular construction, including ADUs. They provide turnkey solutions for ADU projects and serve various locations in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Villa Homes: Villa is building cost-efficient ADUs that are scalable. Villa provides end-to-end feasibility, design, permitting, and construction ADUs that are built using modern offsite construction.
- Dwell - Guide to the best affordable prefab ADUs
- Houzz - ADU Contractors: - A site to find designers and construction professionals
Remember, thorough research and open communication with the companies you're considering are crucial for a successful ADU or project. Take your time to gather information, review contracts carefully, and ask any questions you may have before making a final decision.
Contact me if you would like more information about ADUs and the Real Estate market at (925) 856-4292 or [email protected]
- Tess Pollitz